1) Select one article from those linked below regarding Universal Design for Learning and provide a summary of the article and discuss connections to the lesson you are developing.
The article that I chose to investigate was Digital Tools and UDL-based instructional strategies to support students with disabilities online. Besides teaching math and science, I am also a special education teacher, and this article sparked my interest. The bulk of this article discussed “how digital tools can be used for teaching and learning in meaningful and intentional ways to support students with disabilities in the online environment.” One of the things that I struggled the most with during the pandemic was worrying about my special-ed kiddos, and I wondered if they were ok. I did not feel like the playing field was even when it came to educating my kids who had learning difficulties. Occasionally, I think that my special education students have more tools available to them than mainstream students, but during the pandemic, I felt most of them were struggling. Speech-to-text, reading browser extensions, and other assistive technologies do help reduce barriers, but much like this article states, many of our students lack this technology and consequently drop in their educational performance. I live in a low-income Title 1 school, and because of poverty, many of my students lack the digital tools in their homes that could possibly help them meet their educational goals.
This article gave three key instructional strategies and digital tools that can support action and expression online, especially with students who have handicaps. One key recommendation for teachers is to have “opportunities to demonstrate knowledge in multi-model formats,” such as using Book Creator, Canva, or Google Slides.
The second recommendation would be to “ provide opportunities to practice,” especially with students who have developmental delays. Teachers can use the Voice Memo App or the Voice Recorder extension on Chrome to generate clips to repeat information to students.
The last key idea for instructional strategies would be to make sure students with disabilities have “support tasks and time management” skills. Teachers can use weekly check-ins, progress reports, and schedules to
According to the article, “tools that support specific needs of students with disabilities, for example, text to speech tools, screen readers, and augmentative and alternative communication devices,” are all applications that I plan to implement in my own lesson plan for teaching integers. I have integrated the use of IXL, which is a learning platform that can read the text to students and tailor the learning to a specific learning area that students may be struggling with. IXL gives multiple representations of the learning standard, which is great for students who may have neurodivergence. I love using the Chromebook with my special education students because I feel like it shows them lifelong skills, such as text-to-speech, that they will be able to use beyond school.
Reference:
Rao, K., Torres, C., &Smith, S. (2021). Digital tools and UDL-based instructional strategies to support students with disabilities online. Journal of Special Education Technology, 36(2), 105-112.
2) Visit the CAST Universal Design for Learning website and use resources there to identify strategies that you could integrate into the lesson you are developing. Discuss at least two strategies that you could meaningfully integrate into the lesson you are
developing.
Two strategies that I could implement in my lesson on integers would be from Guideline 2, which emphasizes language and symbols and communicates through language that creates a shared understanding. Guideline 2.1 stresses the importance of clarifying vocabulary, symbols, and various language structures. When I teach the lesson on integers, I will make sure that the negative and positive tokens are represented well with the + and – icons. I can use different representations of positive and negative numbers through real-life examples of bank accounts, temperatures, and sea levels.
The second consideration would be 2.5, which is representation through multiple media. I want to make sure I make learning come alive with simulations, graphics, activities, and videos. IXL has a great video on adding and subtracting integers that I will show students as a class and set as a reminder for parents who may want to revisit that video later for use during homework. The + and – paper counters that we use in class to learn this new skill aligns with the 2.5 guidelines and supports the standard for various simulations. The app with the positive and negative counters also aligns with this and I plan to use that in my lesson.
CONSIDERATION 2.1
Clarify vocabulary, symbols, and language structures
Construct meaning from words, symbols, and numbers using different representations.
CONSIDERATION 2.5
Illustrate through multiple media
Make learning come alive with simulations, graphics, activities, and videos.
3) Reflect upon the guidance provided in the 2024 NETP regarding the integration of UDL strategies to address the Digital Use Divide (week 2 reading assignment).
The 2024 National Education Technology Plan (NETP) emphasizes the importance of using the Universal Design for Learning (UDL). It gives educators strategies to help bridge the digital use divide and helps even the playing field for all learners. In simple terms, the “digital use divide” refers to the gap between students who know how to use technology and those who don’t. This also applies to those students who have access to digital tools and those who don’t. The bottom line of the NETP suggests that Universal Design can help students and educators by making sure our classroom content is designed in such a way that all learners get a fair and equitable education despite any disabilities. It also ensures that students, despite demographics, have access to fair and equal education using technology to help bridge that gap. The idea is that we, as educators, support each student by offering various options for accessing information, encouraging different ways for students to express their knowledge, and creating a flexible learning environment.
Essentially, we use NETP and UDL to make sure each student is succeeding by using technology to bridge any gap to make sure our kids are succeeding.
No comments:
Post a Comment